Shaun T is back with an exciting new home workout exclusively on Beachbody On Demand – SHAUN WEEK: Insane Focus, starting June 12th. It’s not Shark Week, but Shaun Week – a seven-day, high-intensity workout that includes the best moves from Shaun T’s fat-busting programs FOCUS T25 and Insanity, as well as new moves from this super trainer.
“Shaun Week is seven days of pure focus and insanity, but for me this workout is really about motivation,” says Shaun T. “It’s a week for people to break plateaus and to find out for themselves that they can do this, they can commit to something. It’s hard to commit to 30 or 60 days, but everyone can commit to seven days and that small success builds motivation to do something bigger.”
Here are Shaun T’s top seven tips for how to stay committed to your home workouts:
1. Find an exercise you love.With so many types of home workouts to choose from on Beachbody on Demand, you’re sure to find one you enjoy, and perhaps even look forward to doing every day.
“The point of the entire process of getting fit is about making exercise a habit,” says Shaun T. “It’s not about sticking to these workouts forever as if it’s a chore. You have to find a way to make it a lifestyle for you.”
2. Answer these two questions. Shaun T says motivation and commitment are the keys to your fitness success. “Before you start your program ask yourself, ‘How am I going to stay motivated? How am I going to stay committed to this journey?’ Write your answers down and hold on to that piece of paper,” he says.
“Then, each day, when you want to give up, you can look at that piece of paper and remind yourself how you’re going to push through it and show up again the next day ready to work.”
3. Make a checklist and have a “last day” goal.Tracking your behavior helps with both accountability and creating new healthy habits. Shaun T recommends making a list every night of things you want to accomplish the next day, such as: do a 30-minute workout, eat healthy, drink eight glasses of water, get at least seven hours of sleep. At the end of the next day, go through the list and see how many tasks you can check off. Then make your list for the next day! Try the My Challenge Tracker app to help you stick to a checklist.
Shaun T also recommends having a goal for the last day of the program. Whether it’s to lose 10 pounds, be able to do 20 push-ups without stopping, or feeling like a badass because you didn’t give up and completed your workout program, keeping your eye on the prize can help you stay motivated when you want to throw in the towel.
“Keep track of your progress every day, and then it’s really about the end game. What do you want to achieve on the last day of your workout program? And remind yourself of this everyday — it’s the foundation of why you started,” says Shaun T. “Sometimes it’s about a feeling and not about a number [on the scale]. That sense of accomplishment that you gave it your all every day – to feel that accomplishment that you actually finished something.”
4. Find an accountability partner.Without any accountability, slacking off can be a little too easy. Shaun T recommends finding an accountability partner to keep you honest, and connect with them every day. When you join Beachbody On Demand, you are welcomed by a Team Beachbody Coach who can be that accountability partner for you! You can also connect with fellow Shaun Weekers on the Shaun Week community board to keep you on track.
“Who are you calling or texting to say ‘I worked out today, I finished it’?” he says. “It has to be someone you don’t want to disappoint. If it’s somebody who doesn’t care if you slack, then it doesn’t matter. This person doesn’t have to be someone you work out with. Who do you not want to disappoint? You know who that person is. That’s who you pick.”
5. Join a group.“Joining a group is great because you get to share your experiences, your ups and downs, and maybe someone else can give you a tip on how they got through a struggle you’re having,” says Shaun T. “I’m all about being in an accountability group. When you have people relying on you and you’re going through those workouts together, helping each other, it makes the whole process that much more powerful.”
Again, if you sign up for Beachbody On Demand by June 12th, you can join Shaun Week. There are a ton of Team Beachbody Coach-led Challenge groups kicking off on June 12th and you don’t want to miss the fun!
If you’re already a member of Beachbody On Demand, contact your Team Beachbody Coach to join a Shaun Week Challenge Group. Challenge Groups provide support and accountability to keep you motivated until the final day of the challenge. And, if you’re not yet a Beachbody On Demand member, now is a great time to join!
6. Focus on non-scale victories.Let’s say you have a party in a month and want to fit into your favorite cocktail dress, so you commit to month-long workout program on Beachbody On Demand. Remember, the scale is not the best way to track your fitness levels. Sure, you will probably lose some weight, but committing to an exercise program can also increase your strength, energy levels, and confidence – all things a scale does not measure!
“It’s more than just weight loss; it’s about how you want to feel. Do you want to feel good, confident and energized when you walk into that party? ” asks Shaun T. “Committing to a program like Shaun Week is going to open your mind and open your body to an energetic feeling that’s just amazing. It’s only one week. Let this workout fuel the rest of the things that are happening in your life, not just the workout itself.”
7. Be patient and positive.If you aren’t seeing results right away, Shaun T says that patience and staying positive will help you be committed to your daily fitness routine and on your way to creating a healthy and active lifestyle.
“Listen to a motivating podcast or something you can listen to while you’re doing other thoughtless activities, like getting ready at home or driving in your car, so that you constantly keep motivation in your mind,” he says. “That way, you have more positive thoughts, positive words…everything that’s happening in your life can be more positive.”
Hi I'm Kelly Richards Mulloy a stay at home mom of 6. I am on a journey to change my life inside and out. Health and fitness, staying young, join me.